MONTREAL – Canadian astronaut David Saint-Jacques is releasing several tense moments on the sidelines of the Soyuz rocket on Monday, which he sends to him and two others at the International Space Station.
On October 11, rocket wounds forced the Soyuz capsule carrying two astronauts to interrupt and make an emergency landing. Russia interrupted all pilot flights into space before an investigation began, before giving the green light on November 1.
Saint Jacques spoke with journalists today from a start in Kazakhstan where he is in quarantine. He said the most dangerous part of the six-month mission is a 10-minute start in Soyuz and six hours before they arrive.
He said that half of the last two and a half years of training had been devoted to his role as the Soyuz satellite for a space station trip.
Saint-Jacques, 48, said once at the space station that he would be able to concentrate on work and life on board the base.
The first space sail of the Canadian astronaut with NASA astronaut Anne McClain and Oleg Kononenko of the Russian space agency Roscosmos was originally scheduled for December 20th. It was ceded after the Russian authorities closed an investigation into a failed start.
They found that the sensor on the missile failed to correctly signal the first and second tier departments.