Tuesday , June 25 2019
Home / switzerland / Young woman sitting on a wheelchair for months

Young woman sitting on a wheelchair for months

24-year-old paralyzed after she caressed a cute cat

A young woman from the UK stroked a empty cat in Portugal and ended up in a wheelchair. It appears that the 24-year-old was infected by contact with a Campylobacter animal, which meant she could not go months.

Bacterial infections bring a young woman to a wheelchair

Especially in cats, many animal lovers can not help them caress. This was also the case with Gemmy Birch from Southport in northwest England – but then something happened to her touch just some of the animals. For a 24-year-old man, while stroking a cat, he spent a bacterial infection that resulted in landing on a wheelchair.

A young woman was infected while catching a cat with Campylobacter bacteria. The infection was done by a 24-year-old in a wheelchair. (Picture: Saklakova / fotolia.com)

Campylobacter bacteria detected in faeces

According to a report in the British daily Mirror, 24-year-old Gemma Birch in 2014 broke the infection during her vacation in Portugal, causing her to be temporarily paralyzed from her hips.

According to the blogger she was in Albufeira, where she met a cat she became a friend of.

But the love for animals was fatal: on the last day of her flight, she was overturning again and fading backward.

In the United Kingdom, she was taken to a Southport hospital where doctors eventually found that her stools contained Campylobacter.

These bacteria usually occur mainly in chicken meat.

Symptoms of Campylobacter infection

Campylobacter infections can cause inflammatory bowel disease, which is accompanied by symptoms such as diarrhea, severe abdominal pain and fever.

Nausea and vomiting, blood in stools and other complaints such as headache and pain in the body, chills or fatigue may also occur.

In rare cases, it is a complication of Campylobacteriosis Guillain-Barré syndrome, a disease of the nervous system. The 24-year-old Englishman was one of those rare cases.

The disease attacks the nervous system

According to a news release, Gemma Birch was released from the hospital after a week. But her father quickly brought her back when she had a feeling of numbness in her feet at night.

Doctors diagnosed the patient with Guillain-Barré syndrome – a condition where the body's own immune system attacks its own nervous system.

As a result, the blogger spent four months in the rehab clinic and returned to normal after 14 months.

"I had to rely on nurses to walk into the bathroom and wash them, I lost control of my bowel and bladder, and I could not use my hands and arms because they were so weak," the young woman explained.

He suspects that a cat was infected with a cat in Portugal that might have lifted the bacteria while looking into the baskets.

This is clear, among other things, from an earlier study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

Scientists have said that four-legged friends can transmit harmful pathogens to humans, such as bites and scratches, or even when the animal licks its face.

The patient became more cautious

Gemma Birch became more cautious after long suffering.

"Just as I love her, I could not touch any cute cat now. I love cats and pets," said the 24-year-old.

However, he also hopes that "hotel containers did not work."

Their desire is for people to realize their health if they are. (Ad)

Source link