Two premature babies died after a blood infection in a hospital in Glasgow.
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde have confirmed that they initially investigated three cases in the newborn unit at the Royal Princess Maternity Hospital.
But he said that two of the "extremely premature" children had since died and the infection was "one of the many causes" of both deaths.
The third premature child required treatment and was in a stable state.
The NHSGGC confirmed that the Incident Management Team was set up on January 24 after the bacterium staphylococcus aureus was detected.
Dr. Barbara Weinhardt, a doctor for infection control, said: "Our thoughts are in affected families.
"The results today confirmed that three cases of Staphylococcus aureus are linked and our investigations continue as they are linked.
"Staphylococcus aureus is a bacterium found on the skin and the nasal passage of about one in four people and causes infection only when it enters the body."
Dr. Weinhardt said that when people are susceptible to infection, they can cause serious infections.
She added: "We have adopted a number of control measures in the unit, including deep clean, insulating and barrier nursing care, safety instructions for all employees, and advice on infection control for all visitors."
Dr Alan Mathers, chief of medicine, services for women and children, said that national guidelines stipulate that investigations should be initiated when two or more cases of the same type of bacteria are found.
In this case, the incident management team meeting was called last Thursday.
Dr. Mathers added, "IMT has begun investigating possible links between the three cases and sent samples for testing.
"Although these results were expected, we talked with the affected families, along with the parents about the unit and the employees, to inform them of our investigations.
"The results returned today confirmed the relationship between the three cases.
"Our infection control team continues to work closely with clinical colleagues and homeworkers to cope with the situation and take all necessary steps to maintain patient safety."
The incident management team is made up of specialized clinics, doctors and nurses, occupational health workers and land and facility staff.
The council also awaits the results of a separate investigation into the deaths of two patients at Queen Elizabeth University Hospital after contagious infestation associated with pigeon feces.