Here are the latest updates to Google Maps:
- Community resource in the application: With this new feature, Google Maps users will have access to the latest reviews, photos, and posts added to Maps by the people they follow and local experts. It is like Yelp ( – but will be available directly in the application. )
- News for maps and search: Certified companies can send messages to customers directly from the application, which allows search engines to communicate with companies and ask questions. Messages from customers are displayed in the company news section on the application update tab.
- Business performance statistics: This business-focused update will track how a company is performing by measuring the number of customer interactions initiated from Maps and Search. This system will provide you with updates on the performance and interaction of businesses with customers on Google.
- Street View images added by: Google Maps users will be able to send their own Street View imagery from their phones. Specifically, people can do this by capturing a series of connected images as they move down a street or road. Once you’ve recorded and published your listing, Google will automatically rotate, place, and combine images.
With new social features introduced by Google this month, Yelp’s competition with Google Maps is stronger than ever. And Yelp knows this well. In March, the company shared its long-standing complaints about Google at a hearing in the Senate Antitrust Subcommittee.
– Brian Fung of CNN contributed to this report.