Microsoft today released a new preview of Windows 10 with smooth, timed, microphone, search, Windows Update and Mail & Calendar enhancements. This building comes from the 19H1 branch, which will come in the first half of next year.
Windows 10 evolves as a service, meaning it regularly receives new features. Microsoft has released six major updates: November Update, Annual Updates, Creative Updates, Autumn Updates, Updates in April 2018, and Updates in October 2018.
Microsoft Fluent Design has accessed the Power menu and user menus in the Start menu and in the on-screen menu. If you look closely, you will see the added icons.
Microsoft added time and date to manually synchronize clock with time server. It also shows the last time this time has been synchronized successfully, and the address of the current time server.
If you place the mouse pointer over the new microphone icon, it shows you which application accesses the microphone. If multiple applications use your microphone, only how many. Double-click the icon to open the Microphone Privacy Settings.
When you start a search, you'll see an updated landing page with more recent activity options, light motif support, acrylic touch, and all filter filter options like beer.
Improvements to Windows Update are minor. If your device has an update that requires a restart, the Windows Update icon with the orange indicator in the notification area (system tray) will be displayed to alert you to restart the device.
The latest Mail & Calendar application (version 11001.20106) makes it easy to track your tasks in Microsoft To-Do – just switch directly to the tasks in the application's navigation. This update is not tied to this Windows 10 report – you should find it in the Microsoft Store.
Bug fixes and known issues
This 19H1 assembly includes the following general fixes and improvements:
- Fixed a problem that causes PDF files open in Microsoft Edge not to appear correctly (small, instead of using the whole space).
- Fixed a problem resulting in the mouse roll in many UWP applications and XAMLs that are unexpectedly fast in the recent report.
- Some updates on the taskbar reduce the number of replaying of icons. Most clearly when interacting with the basket, even in other scenarios.
- Antivirus applications must be run as a protected process so that they can register with Windows and view them in the Windows Security app. If AV is not registered, Windows Defender Antivirus will remain on.
- Fixed a problem that results in the system unexpectedly consuming a large amount of CPU for a long time while enumerating the Bluetooth device.
- Fixed issue that crashes Cortana.Signals.dll in the background.
- Fixed a problem caused by the remote desktop to display a black screen for some users. The same problem could also cause remote desktop freezing when using VPN.
- Fixed a problem that results in mapped network drivers potentially shown as Unavailable when using the net use command and displaying red X in File Explorer.
- Improved Narrator browser compatibility with Chrome.
- Enhanced mouse mode performance with center magnifier.
- Fixed a problem with Pinyin IME always displaying English mode on the taskbar, even when writing in Chinese in the previous flight.
- Fixed a problem resulting in languages displaying the unexpected "Inaccessible input method" method in the keyboard list in the Settings section if you added a language using your language settings in recent years.
- The new Microsoft IME system introduced with 18272 has been rolled back to the one that came with the October 2018 update because Microsoft takes feedback.
- Support for LEDBAT when uploading to layers Optimizing delivery on the same LAN (under the same NAT). Currently, LEDBAT is used only by optimizing delivery when uploading to group or internet peer. This feature should prevent overloading on the local network and allow peer-to-peer transmission to be shut down immediately when the network is used for higher traffic priority.
Today's update comes across Windows 10 from version 18282 (available to testers on November 14) to build 18290.
This report contains 10 known issues:
- Hyperlinks colors need to be improved in Dark in Sticky Notes if the Statistics feature is enabled.
- Once your account password or PIN has been changed, the settings page is collapsed, we recommend using CTRL + ALT + DEL to change your password
- Due to a merge conflict, the settings for enabling / disabling Dynamic Lock in the login settings are missing.
- The settings will collapse when you click Show content for other units in System> Storage.
- The Windows Security application may have an unknown status for the virus and threat protection area or is not updated correctly. This can happen after upgrading, restarting, or changing settings.
- Remove the previous version of Windows in the Storage Sense configuration is not optional.
- When the speech settings are opened, settings will fail.
- Mysterious people can see green screens when interacting with certain games and applications, except for the System Services Exception in win32kbase.sys.
- There is an update block for this assembly for a small number of computers that use the Nuvoton (NTC) TPM with a specific firmware version (184.108.40.206) due to a bug that causes Windows Hello face / biometric / pin login not working problems.
- If you install any of the recent reports from a fast ringtone and switch to Slow Ring mode – optional content, such as allowing developer mode, fails. You'll need to stay in a fast ringtone to add or install optional content. This is due to the fact that optional content will only be installed in reports approved for a particular ringing tone.
As always, do not install the machine on the production machine.