New Zealand rejects the use of Huawei 5G technology on the basis of national security
The New Zealand News Agency rejected the country's first telecoms application for 5G technology by China's Huawei Technologies Co.
, based on national security grounds.
Spark New Zealand, a telecommunications service provider who filed an application, said on Wednesday he would review the state agency's arguments before considering further steps.
The decision comes in the context of growing distrust among Western nations about, in his view, the possible participation of the Chinese government in mobile communications networks and the fifth generation. Huawei has repeatedly insisted that Beijing has no influence on these systems.
Earlier this year, neighboring Australia banned Huawei from delivering 5G devices that also pose security risks. Last week, the Wall Street Journal reported that the US government is trying to persuade companies from allied countries to avoid Huawei.
"Spark has announced that there has been a significant risk to network security," said Andrew Hampton, the CEO of the Communications Security Office, on Wednesday.
News Minister Andrew Little told Reuters that Spark, whose application was part of the country's first request for 5G technology, could work with the risk mitigation agency. Hampton refused to clarify concerns, saying it was classified information.
Huawei said in his statement that he "will actively address all concerns and will work together to find a way forward", adding that more than 20 contracts have been signed with operators around the world.